University of Illinois System

Life Events

When a major change occurs in your life, you may need to make changes to your benefits, personal information, or other employer records. Here, you will find a brief outline of actions to take following common life events. Certain events may also be considered qualifying events for SEGIP benefits or Life Status Changes for RSL BasicCare.  

If you aren’t sure what steps to take, or if you experience a change not listed here, then contact your university HR office or University Payroll & Benefits for help.

Name, Address, and Phone Number Changes

  • If you change your name, typically you’ll need to present your new Social Security Card to confirm the change; however, the process differs by university:
    • Urbana: Contact your college or department HR representative.
    • Chicago/Springfield: Give the completed Name and SSN Change Form to your college or department HR representative.
    • System Offices: Contact System HR Services.
  • Update your address and/or phone number in My Profile. Changes to your profile will also update your SEGIP benefits records and, if you are enrolled, the Prudential Long-Term Disability Plan.
  • SURS: complete and return the appropriate form to SURS for changes to your name and/or address. For a name change, SURS requires a copy of the marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order.
  • If you participate in the University 403(b) Plan, contact UPB to update your mailing address.
  • Update bank accounts, credit union accounts, or other personal accounts with your new information.

Marriage/Civil Union Partnership


  • If you participate in SEGIP, you must remove your ex-spouse or ex-partner from your SEGIP coverage on CMS MyBenefits within 60 days. If you are eligible for SEGIP coverage and lose other coverage, you may enroll within 60 days after the date of divorce.
  • If you are enrolled in RSL BasicCare you must remove your former spouse or partner from coverage within 31 days following the date of divorce.If you are eligible for the RSL BasicCare plan and lose other coverage due to divorce/separation, you have up to 31 days after the date of divorce to enroll in coverage. You may wish to modify your beneficiaries for your benefit plans:
  • If your name has changed as a result of a divorce or separation, see the Name, Address, and Phone Number Changes section above.
  • Review and update your emergency contacts and personal information in My Profile.
  • Review your direct deposit information and W-4 Tax Withholding information.

Birth/Adoption of a Child

Death of Spouse/Dependent

Termination/Separation from the University

  • Follow the Employee Exit Checklist to ensure that you and your department have taken all necessary steps for a smooth separation.
  • Take action on any retirement and investment plans that you are enrolled in – see Separation Preparation.
  • Unused vacation time and any compensable sick time (if eligible) will be paid out after your final paycheck.


  • Consider your financial situation, and make sure you are financially prepared to retire:
  • Review the SURS retirement preparation guide for the plan you are participating in (Traditional/Portable or Retirement Savings Plan).
  • Provide your planned retirement date to your unit and/or to your university HR office. Consult with your HR office for additional guidance and resources.
  • Consider making additional contributions to your 403(b) and/or 457 account:
    • While still employed, you may be eligible to make extra “catch-up” contributions if you are age 50 or older. Allow at least 60 days for new enrollments or changes to take effect. Contact UPB for additional information.
    • You may be allowed to direct a portion of payouts for any unused vacation time and any compensable sick time (if eligible) to your 403(b) or 457 account. Such deferral requests must be made to UPB at least 60 days prior to your last day of employment.
  • Retirees may not return to work for any SURS-covered employer (including the University of Illinois System) for at least 60 days. See Return To Work – 60 Day Rule.