Civil Service and Extra Help Employment

The State Universities Civil Service System governs Civil Service (CS) employees. These employees support many activities at the University of Illinois. They hold jobs in clerical, crafts and trades, managerial, para-professional, professional, service, and technical areas. CS titles include, but are not limited to:

  • Accountant
  • Building Custodian
  • Business Manager
  • Carpenter
  • Computer Programmer
  • Driver
  • Electrician
  • Food Service Worker
  • Hospital Service Worker
  • Police Officer
  • Registered Nurse
  • Veterinary Technician

Individuals interested in CS employment must:

  • Be residents of the State of Illinois.
  • Have a current electronic application on file with the University.
  • Qualify for and pass appropriate CS examinations.

Visit the campus Human Resources web pages for information on current Civil Service opportunities.

Urbana | Chicago| Springfield

Civil Service Application Process

Civil Service (CS) positions are filled using lists of names called registers. The University does not advertise position openings, and individuals cannot apply for specific positions. Instead, individuals take examinations for particular classifications, and their scores are recorded on lists (registers) of qualified individuals.

Scores appear in order, from highest to lowest, and the registers change each time new scores are added. When a position opens in a department, a pre-determined number of individuals with the highest scores become eligible to interview.

Follow these steps to become eligible for CS positions:

  1. Understand your qualifications and determine the appropriate CS classification(s) to match those qualifications. Visit the State Universities Civil Service System (SUCSS) for a listing of classification specifications. Note: Not all classifications shown on the SUCSS web site are used by the University of Illinois.
  2. Apply Online / Submit an Exam Request: Urbana-Champaign | Chicago Springfield .
  3. Take the exam at the specified location. (You will be contacted with details about taking the exam.)
  4. Wait for a notice regarding your score.
  5. When notified of openings, attend interviews.

Additional Resources

Veterans Preference for Civil Service Positions
Civil Service Class Specifications
Classification Requests - Rules for requesting the allocation, reallocation or reclassification of positions

Extra Help

Extra Help (EH) positions are temporary positions that use Civil Service classifications. EH positions offer opportunities to work on a temporary basis. These positions may last from one day to no more than 900 hours in any consecutive 12-month period. Scheduled work hours are often flexible. Individuals interested in secretarial EH employment may be required to take a keyboarding test. Responsibilities of Extra Help employees may include:

  • Answering phones
  • Attending parking lots
  • Cashiering
  • Serving concession stand food
  • Selling tickets
  • Typing or word processing

Extra Help Openings & Application Process

Extra Help employment processes differ for each campus location.

  • Urbana - If you are interested in a clerical Extra Help position (you have clerical, accounting, and/or computer skills) visit the Extra Help Services web page . If you are interested in non-clerical extra help, you will need to contact individual departments of interest and inquire about possible opportunities.
  • Chicago - visit the Temporary/Extra Help Services web site for more information.
  • Springfield : Please apply online . No Civil Service exam is required for Extra Help. Contact our office at 217-206-8464 if you need assistance.

The University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer