University Equal Opportunity provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action services for UA units, which includes EEO oversight of the Academic search process and maintenance of UA affirmative action plans. This unit serves as hearing officer on behalf of the President of the University of Illinois for University-level grievances. University Equal Opportunity also provides EEO guidance for UHR projects and compliance implementation, and serves as the UHR representative in the EEO community.
Diversity is the unique set of experiences, skills, talents, perspectives, and cultures that each employee brings to UA. It is how we create a dynamic work and business environment to serve our customers.
Key Elements of Diversity
- Diversity encompasses acceptance and respect.
- Understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizing our individual differences. These can be along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies.
- Diversity is the exploration of differences in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment.
- Diversity is about understanding each other and moving beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual.
Inclusion is a set of behaviors that leverage and honor the uniqueness of people’s different talents, beliefs, and ways of living. Inclusive behavior transcends all differences among people by acknowledging and honoring the group identities we all possess while at the same time not being restricted by those identities.
Key Elements of Inclusion:
- Inclusion is about respecting and valuing the unique dimension that each employee adds to the organization.Recognizing that employees are at their creative and productive best when they work in an inclusive work environment.
- Inclusion is engaging diversity in a common endeavor.
- Inclusion is engaging diversity to create a culture of belonging in which people are valued and honored for the improvement of our society, world, and enterprises.
- Actively including others in collaboration and co-creation processes to maximize individual and collective contributions.
- Promoting values and practices that demonstrate openness, respect, collaboration and appreciation of the validity of different points of view.
- Recognizing and supporting the intrinsic value of all human beings by creating and sustaining conditions that foster equity, empowerment, awareness and competence at the personal, group and organizational levels.