"RSL BasicCare" is a limited benefit program offered to help
meet federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
(PPACA) requirements. Employees will receive an offer of coverage by
email and by letter to their home mailing address.
RSL BasicCare is available to eligible employees*
who are ineligible for the State of Illinois Employees Group Insurance
Program (SEGIP) and who average 30 or more hours per week. Reliance
Standard Life Insurance Company insures this program, and it is
administered by Mercer Health and Benefits.
Medical Plan Options
The RSL BasicCare Program offers a two-part medical plan:
- Essential Plan: This plan is intended to provide minimum essential coverage (MEC) by covering the preventive services
as required under PPACA. It is intended to meet the IRS individual
mandate requirement (i.e., your own individual obligation to carry
health insurance), so it may help you avoid the individual tax penalty you would face if you otherwise do not have coverage.
- BasicAdvantage Total Plan: This is an optional
limited medical plan, which pays a capped daily benefit for certain
covered services. It is not a substitute for comprehensive health
insurance, but rather is intended to provide a basic level of insurance
Dental insurance, bundled life insurance and short-term disability
plans are also available. Dependents may be enrolled in these plans,
with the exception of the short-term disability plan.
RSL BasicCare is not intended to replace a comprehensive major
medical health insurance plan. This coverage alone will not meet the
health insurance minimum requirements for a J-1 Visa holder. If
you already have other comprehensive health insurance coverage
(including through SURS/TRAIL, SEGIP, the University’s Student Health
Insurance Program, another employer plan, or a spouse’s/parent’s plan),
then you should carefully consider this insurance because you may not
need this coverage.
For eligible employees who are offered and enroll in the two-part
medical plan, the University will pay 100% of the monthly premium for
your employee-only coverage.
You will be required to pay the full cost for any eligible dependents
you wish to enroll, as well as the full cost of the monthly premiums
for any dental insurance and any bundled life and short-term disability
benefits that you elect for yourself or your eligible dependents.
| 2017 Employee Premiums
||BasicAdvantage Total Plan
||Term Life/Short-term Disability
|Employee + Spouse
|Employee + 1 Child
|Employee + Children
|Employee + Family
These additional costs cannot be payroll deducted at this
time. You will be billed by the University for any additional coverage.
See University insurance billing policy. See University insurance billing policy.
Coordination of Benefits with Existing Medical Plans
If you already have a comprehensive major medical plan (i.e., student
insurance; State of Illinois Employees Group Insurance Program;
SURS/TRAIL; or coverage under a spouse, parent, or other employer plan),
then you must carefully consider whether you need this coverage. If you
elect the Essential Plan, the BasicAdvantage Total Plan, or both, these
plans would be primary payers above any other coverage you may have in
place. Other plans already in place would provide secondary coverage.
If you already have other coverage and you elect to enroll in one or
both of the RSL BasicCare plans, then you will have to work with your
healthcare provider to determine the claims-filing process. In some
instances, RSL may file a claim with the other carrier on your behalf.
Or, you may be responsible for submitting the claim to the other carrier
after RSL has processed your claim. If you already have major medical
coverage, please review the details of how that plan pays when it is a
If you are a student who has health insurance coverage through the
University’s Student Health Insurance Plan, or under your parent’s or
spouse’s plan, then you may not want this coverage. This new program is
NOT a comparable substitute for the Student Health Insurance Plan.
- Log into www.benedetails.com and enter the portal number 92518.
- Enter your University ID number (your 9 digit UIN) and your
password. Your password is your birth date in MMDD format. For example,
if your birth date is April 11, your password would be 0411.
- Review the benefit plan information on BeneDetails before making your choices.
- Proceed through “Enroll Now” to ENROLL in coverage.
- Under the Enroll Now header, click Select Benefits. You must review
your Personal Information and enter/review any Dependent Information.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to guide you through the benefit
selection process. You must click Enroll beside each coverage option.
- At the end, you will be asked to review and confirm your elections.
You must click “Continue” on the Pre-Confirmation page to submit your
elections. Please print the confirmation page and keep it in your
records for future reference.
IMPORTANT: If you do not click “Continue” on the Pre-Confirmation page,
then your elections will not be submitted and you will not have
Where to Go With Questions
Assistance with Online Enrollment
If you need assistance with online enrollment, call Mercer Health & Benefits Call Center at 1-888-201-2204.
Self-service kiosks are available at University Payroll & Benefits (UPB) at:
- UIC - 1st Floor, 809 S. Marshfield Ave, 312-996-7200
- UIS - Room 85, Business Services Building, 217-206-7144
- UIUC - Room 177, Henry Administration Building, 217-265-6363
RSL BasicCare Program Coverage and Details:
Contact Mercer Health & Benefits Call Center at 1-888-201-2204.
Employment status or program eligibility:
If you have questions about your eligibility for RSL BasicCare, please
contact your campus/central HR office or your Student Employment office:
Student employment offices:
- Academic Human Resources (Graduate Students): email@example.com
- Office of Student Financial Aid, Student Employment (Undergraduate Students): 217-244-3789
- UIC Student Employment: 312-996-3130 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- UIC HR Service Center (Graduate Student Employees): 312-996-7606
- Undergraduate Office of Student Employment in the Office of Financial Assistance: 217-206-6724 or email@example.com
- Graduate Student Employment:firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-206-6544
Additional Resources (Enrollment Packet Materials)
* Eligibility for RSL BasicCare insurance coverage is contingent on
continued employment and the University meeting minimum enrollment
requirements set by Reliance Standard Life. In the event of differences
between communication sources and the official plan policies, the
official plan policy documents will govern.