Retirement & Investment Plans

Depending on your employment, you may be eligible to participate in one or more retirement and investment plans. Participation in the State Universities Retirement System (SURS) is mandatory if you are eligible. The University of Illinois Supplemental 403(b) and the State of Illinois 457 Deferred Compensation plans offer voluntary savings opportunities.

State Universities Retirement System (SURS)

SURS is a state-wide system for Illinois public universities that provides retirement, disability, and related benefits to eligible participants and annuitants. Contributions to SURS are mandatory if you are eligible. SURS offers a one-time, irrevocable choice of plans:

  • Retirement Savings Plan (RSP)
  • Traditional Benefit Package
  • Portable Benefit Package

If you previously worked for the University or another SURS-covered employer, you will resume contributions to the SURS plan you chose when you first became an eligible participant; you will not have an opportunity to select a different plan.

SURS participants are not eligible for federal Social Security coverage based on employment with a SURS-covered employer, and no Social Security taxes are withheld from your earnings. If you worked for other employers who contributed to Social Security, your SURS pension may impact or reduce Social Security benefits.

See SURS for eligibility requirements, contributions, and plan options.

University Supplemental 403(b) Plan

You may make traditional or Roth contributions to the 403(b) Plan if you are receiving compensation from the University and you elect to contribute a minimum of $200 annually. Participation is voluntary and may be started or stopped at any time (subject to payroll schedules). See University 403(b) Plan.

Enroll, Make Changes, or Stop my 403(b) Plan

State Deferred Compensation 457 Plan

The Deferred Compensation 457 Plan is another voluntary option for making tax-deferred or Roth contributions as a state employee. The minimum contribution is $10 per pay period or 1% of your gross pay per pay period. See State Deferred Compensation 457 Plan.

Enroll, Make Changes, or Stop my Deferred Comp 457 Plan

Voluntary Retirement Incentive Programs

Plan Help

Other Retirement Resources

Information provided on this site is general in nature about matters of interest to University of Illinois System employees. This information is not legal, financial, or tax advice. You should consult with a legal, financial, or tax professional for assistance with your individual circumstances.