University of Illinois System

Benefit Choice (SEGIP)

Benefit Choice is your annual opportunity to make changes to your State of Illinois benefits:

  • Health, dental, AD&D and life insurance
  • Dependent coverage
  • Opt out (full-time employees) of State of Illinois health and dental insurance coverage.
  • Waive (part-time employees 50% - 99%) State of Illinois health and dental
  • Enroll or re-enroll in the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Program for the upcoming plan year
  • Enroll or re-enroll in the Health Savings Account (HSA) if enrolled in the Consumer Driven Health Plan (CDHP)

Typically, Benefit Choice is available from May 1 through May 31, and any plan changes become effective July 1 of the same calendar year.

Benefit Choice transactions are completed in MyBenefits using your CMS-issued Employee ID Number to log on. This is not the same as your University ID Number (UIN) or NetID. If you have lost or forgotten your CMS-issued Employee ID, please use the self-authentication process available on MyBenefits or call the MyBenefits Service Center at 844-251-1777 or TDD/TTY 844-251-1778.

Benefit Choice Options Booklet

View the FY 2025 Benefit Choice Options booklet

This booklet contains the most current information regarding changes for the upcoming plan year (July – June). Please carefully review the booklet before making any changes.

Changing Health Plans

During Benefit Choice, you may change health insurance plans. Enrolling in a health insurance plan automatically enrolls you in the vision insurance plan, at no additional cost.

Changes to health insurance are made through MyBenefits.

Types of Health Insurance Coverage

You can elect a health plan in one of three types of plans, with providers dependent on your location. Select from the links below to read about your options:

Primary Care Physicians and HMO/OAP Limitations

See the Health Plan Map in the FY 2025 Benefit Choice Booklet for the plans available in your area. 
Availability of OAP Tiers varies by county. View the FY25 Health Plan Map to see coverage in your area.

If you select an HMO Plan, you must select a Primary Care Physician (PCP) for yourself and each covered dependent. When making your selection, you will be required to enter your PCP's National Provider Identification (NPI) number. Some HMOs also require a medical group code. See the provider directory links for more information about these codes.

Keep in mind that in an HMO plan your PCP will direct all healthcare services and will make referrals for specialists and hospitalizations. You can only change your PCP by calling your insurance plan's Customer Service department directly. See your insurance card for this phone number.

In most cases, HMO benefits (and some OAP benefits) are not available for you or your dependents if you reside outside the service area, such as children attending college away from home. See the Health Plan Map in the FY 2025 Benefit Choice Booklet. Contact your health plan administrator for passport or reciprocity programs. If you have concerns about specific benefit limitations or exclusions, contact your health plan administrator directly.


Important: Dependent Social Security numbers are required when enrolling in State benefit programs.

All insured dependents must be enrolled in the same health and dental plans as the employee. Employees electing to opt out or waive health plan coverage may only enroll their dependents in life insurance coverage. 

When both parents are State employees, either employee may elect to cover children as dependents, but the same dependent cannot be enrolled under both employees for the same type of coverage. For example, eligible dependents may be enrolled under one parent for health and dental coverage and enrolled under the other for life coverage. If you and your spouse are both State employees, neither may enroll as a dependent of the other.

Changing State Life Insurance and AD&D Coverage

During Benefit Choice, you may apply for or increase life insurance coverage on the optional State plan for yourself, your spouse and your eligible dependents.

Dependents who meet the eligibility requirements for health and dental insurance are eligible for optional life insurance. Relationship documentation is required.

You may also add or change Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.

Changes are made through MyBenefits.

Enrolling and Re-enrolling in the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Program

For more detailed information on the Flexible Spending Account program, see the Flexible Spending Accounts page or the State of Illinois Flexible Spending Account Program booklet.

During Benefit Choice, you may elect to participate in the Flexible Spending Account (FSA) program. If you are currently enrolled in the FSA program you must re-enroll each plan year to continue participating in this program. 

Benefit Choice Resources

FY 2025 (Beginning July 1, 2024) 


For questions about Benefit Choice or State of Illinois benefits, contact the MyBenefits Service Center at 844-251-1777 or TDD/TTY 844-251-1778, Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. CT.

For questions about eligibility or University plans, contact University Payroll & Benefits.