University of Illinois System

Qualifying Events

A qualifying event (also known as a qualifying change in status) is a significant life event which makes you eligible to change certain SEGIP benefits outside of the annual Benefit Choice period. When you experience a qualifying event, you have 60 calendar days from the date of the event to make changes and provide documentation supporting the event. The changes available to you depend on the event and are strictly defined.

Depending on the event, you may also need to update your personal and/or tax information with the University of Illinois System. Changes to your personal information made in My Profile will be shared with CMS.

Some common examples of qualifying events include:

  • Birth or Adoption of a Child
  • Marriage
  • Divorce
  • Spouse’s Open Enrollment Period
  • Change in Dependent Eligibility

You can view a full list of eligible qualifying events and the corresponding benefits changes allowed in the Qualifying Changes in Status Table. For more details, see CMS Qualifying Changes in Status.

Changing Your State Benefits with CMS

You can make changes to your State benefits using MyBenefits.

Click the “Login” button at the top of the page, and log in using your CMS-issued Login ID. Once logged in, click “Self-Service Tools”, then “Enroll/make changes”. Select the applicable qualifying event, then follow the instructions to complete your changes.

If this is your first time using MyBenefits, see MyBenefits FAQs for help with registration and logging in for the first time.

If you have questions about your State benefits or need assistance changing your benefits after a qualifying event, call the MyBenefits Service Center.

Effective Dates

Health, dental, and vision coverage changes requested within 60 days of the qualifying event are effective the latter of:

  • The date the request for change is submitted
  • The date the event occurred

Birth, newborn adoption, divorce, and death events may be effective retroactive to the date of the qualifying event.

Changing Your Personal Information

When you update your personal information with the University of Illinois System, it will be shared with CMS for the purposes of your SEGIP benefits.

Most of your personal information can be updated through My Profile. After logging in, you can edit your address, phone number, emergency contacts, date of birth, marital status, and more. You can also review or make changes to your pay and tax information.

To change your name or Social Security Number (SSN), you will first need to obtain an updated Social Security card. Once you have an updated card, contact your department or unit Human Resources representative to update your record.

If you need assistance changing your personal, pay, or tax information, contact University Payroll & Benefits.

Additional Resources